Sunday, August 10, 2008

#15 online games

I tried pirate puzzles and had a little fun bliging. I think my kids enjoyed watching more than I enjoyed playing. I realize that I may sound negative about all these virtual things but I would rather do something for real than play a game. I would rather play cards with my son (encourages math and thinking skills and offers mother/son time) than waste my time playing with a stranger online. I know several people who do enjoy this sort of activity. They have a lot of fun too, but I have never been one to sit down to a video game and I thank God (literally) that my husband and sons don't either. There is so much to life, so much to truly experience why would anyone one to spend so much time sitting at a computer pretending they are socializing of sword fighting? I can do that with my sons too for that matter, except we use light swords. There are some online games that I really do enjoy, one is a word game. I guess my theory about socializing online is that you really never know who you are interacting with and you can only know as much as they want you to and that is not really socializing to me. I also took a look at Second Life which to me is slightly pathetic. If you want to go to the library go to a real one. If you want to buy land you are better off saving your 9.95 and purchasing something real. If you spend all your time, or even a small percent of your time sitting at a desk staring at a computer living vicariously through an avitar, you may need more things to keep you busy in your actual life. Is it really healthy for people to spend so much time pretending? I have seen and read a few articles where kids have gotten addicted to this sort of thing and spend alot of money on it. Is this really healthy? What about fresh air and excersise? It is good to know this kind of thing exists and be able to assist people if they want to know how some games work, but do I thingk this things is particulary yseful to me? NO. In all the years (6) I have worked at the library I have never beeen asked a question about an online game.

No comments:

trading card

Image hosted @ bighugelabs.com